I was tagged by Laurel Neustadter to list five things I do every day to keep my spirit happy and healthy. Funny thing is I haven't been doing enough! I've fallen off the wagon of self-care and my resolution is to get back on. Here's what I try to do every day.
1) I wake up with gratitude and carry it through the day even if I have challenges ahead. I believe each day is a gift and each obstacle is a learning tool.
2) I like being the only one awake when I have my coffee. I sit and check email and get caught up on my blogs. Even the dog is still under the covers! I love the quiet and solitude of that hour or so.
3) One of the best ways for me to connect with my spirit is to be outdoors. Usually I try to go for a long walk sometime in the morning. It's best if I go without the dog so I get some momentum and make it exercise. Emma likes to stop and sniff every 2 feet, so either I take her out first or my husband walks her.
Another thing that restores me is just being at the ocean. It's right down the street from me and I can hear the waves from my house. When I sit there I can often feel my troubles slip away.
4) I try to help others every day. It's the nature of my job anyway, but even if it wasn't I'd be doing things for people and animals. I'm working on finding a balance so I don't always feel so depleted.
5) Finally, the last thing I'll list is that I'm trying to be kinder to myself. I used to play "old tapes" that told me I'm not good enough, but now when I disappoint myself I just say "do better tomorrow." So now that it's tomorrow, I'm ready to do better in every way! I'm hoping 2009 is the year I meet my health goals. If I can do it then I know everything else will fall into place.
I'm tagging a few friends for this one...hmmmm, let's see. Okay, here they are!
And ladies, only if you want to!! XX